Who We Are:
We are Boogie Board, makers of best-selling reusable writing and creativity products. Boogie Board is owned by Kent Displays, the global leader in reflective bistable cholesteric liquid crystal display technology. Over the last decade, Boogie Board products have redefined writing and drawing for both adults and kids—selling millions of reusable writing and creativity products in 40 countries worldwide. Our team is passionate about helping our consumers play, create, learn, live, and work better.
Build your career with a company that creates cool products, gives back to the community, and offers a friendly, diverse, innovative, inclusive culture.
We are currently seeking a Senior Scientist to join a fast-paced Research and Development team in the development of materials, systems and processes for the manufacturing of ultra-flexible and rugged cholesteric liquid crystal displays.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop core technologies based on cholesteric liquid crystals, phase separation dynamics, free radical UV polymerization, polymerization induced phase separation that lead to building and testing of prototypes before finally scaling the process to the manufacturing line.
- Develop testing procedures that help predict the behavior and life cycle of products in the field.
- Identify materials, systems, formulations, and processes to meet product requirements.
- Support manufacturing and quality control efforts where needed and required.
- Work in a class 1000 cleanroom, following all necessary protocols.
- Characterize materials using tools such as TEM, SEM, XPS, FTIR, Spectrophotometers, and AFM.
- Work collaboratively in a cross disciplinary work environment of engineers, scientists, product designers, and developer in the enhancement of existing product and the development of new products.
- Provide support in publication and communication of scientific work and control documents on behalf of the company.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Materials Science, Polymer Science, Polymer Engineering, Chemistry, or a related discipline is required.
- Strong fundamental understanding of thermodynamics of mixtures, reaction kinetics, organic chemistry, electromagnetism, etc. is required.
- Practical skills in laboratory formulations are required
- Academic or practical experience with liquid crystals, emulsions, UV curable coatings, polymer blends, laminations, roll to roll and polymeric films is a plus.
- Extensive laboratory experience with wet chemistry, clean rooms procedures, and basic chemistry lab equipment.
- Ability to correlate materials properties to final display properties such as electro-optics, flexibility, ruggedness, lifetime is desired.
- A demonstrated ability to work in an interdisciplinary team setting is desired. The candidate must have excellent communication and organizational skills, and be a self-starter who requires minimal supervision to be productive
- Experience with liquid crystal displays. UV curable coatings or roll to roll experience is a plus.
- Stable work history
If this sounds like what you’re looking for, then please send your information to Kyle Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org). Kent Displays is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Applicants will be required to have started or have documentation of completion of COVID-19 vaccinations prior to the first day of employment.